Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Youth Day Tom

What a great youth day for me as I had the great pleasure to call in a beautiful tom turkey for my buddy Joey. This was a tough hunt with the wind/rain and to be honest I was a bit worried we might not get a shot at a bird. Me and Joey hung tough in the nasty weather (being in a pop up blind helped for sure) and at 11:00 I got out the trusty box call and really let it rip loud hoping a cruising tom would hear my call over the wind/rain. Well as most smart birds do in bad weather this big boy came in totally silent but I saw him coming to my lone hen decoy and had Joey gun up ready to shoot. Well did he ever make a great shot at 30 yards with his 20 gauge and he just hammered this great tom. What a great bird and he weighed 24 pounds, 10 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs. Man what a great hunt for me and if you hunt hard good things happen. Serious I think I'm starting to like watching my friends get it done in the woods more than myself and on Monday opening day I will taking the wife out and man I want to see her get her first tom turkey, hope so.

Hunter




No comments:

Post a Comment